first let me say this: tb-run.com in general is working fine and the daily updates from geocaching.com are running like a charm ;-).
In the last year, we did not have a single occurence where tb-run did a wrong calculation of the ranking – (as long as the information from gc.com was up to date and gc.com provided the right results).
Most of the mails regarding wrong ranking we get, can be tracked down to the fact that the race tye is set to a “fair” race. This which will filter out movements by the same geocacher. You find a detailed explanation in a previous blog post.
However, there is a problem right now:
As you all now, tb-run can only work with the mileage that is provided by gc.com. Since a few months, we experience a problem that seems to be related to what gc.com is showing.
We recognized that the mileage delivered from geocaching.com all of a sudden changes from time to time. Example
- For this old TB that was not moved since 2010, the log from 08/14/2008 shows 32.16 Miles – which is correct. Now two days ago, at 1:15 CET gc.com showed 5259.59 for this TB. And an hour later gc.com showed 377.03 Miles. At 3:15 then it was back to 32.16 Miles. At 9:15 it was 464.04 Miles for two hours and then it was correct.
- Or this Race TB from BNJanny (Upsstups)
Log from 01/17/2017 in Cache Kosinus meets China. Correct is 0.15 Miles. Yesterday all of a sudden gc.com showed 5266.23 Miles. One hour later it was back to 0.15 Miles.
It seems that these are not exceptions but this happens across geocaching.com.
We have written a program that pulls the mileage from gc.com every hour for several TB’s to see if we can detect any pattern. We are also checking if this is somehow related to tb-run.com – but don’t think so at this point.
We will update this post once we have any news – hopefully in the next few days.
If you have seen similar behaviour, please leave a comment. This may help us to track down the root cause – or give us more meat when talking to Groundspeak.
Due to changes on geocaching.com, the mileage of certain TBs is currently not displayed correctly on tb-run.com. This is relevant for race types “distance fair”, “long jump” and “Race to cache”.
We have fixed the issues today (May 8th). As soon as the TB receives a new log, the mileage will show up correctly on the following day on tb-run.com.
Sorry for the inconvenience
[deutsche Version hier]
tb-rescue.com service has been permanently discontinued as of January 2016. For details please see the annoucement.
Similar functionality is now provided by Project GC: .
Since Dezember 2009 tb-rescue.com helped to rescue 2311 Trackables and report 2878 trackables missing.
I would like to thank everyone who supported the project.
It was a lot of fun!
If you are interested, here is the initial Video about tb-rescue.com.
If you like fun with Trackables visit out other website tb-run.com.
it was a long back and forth but finally I have decided to discontinue the service of tb-rescue.com.
(tb-run.com will be kept)
Developing and running the site was a lot of fun and the feedback from the geocaching community was really great. But on the other hand, the usage of tb-rescue went down during the last year.
Changes made by my provider are forcing me to rewrite code which I can and do not want to do at this time. Anyway tb-rescue.com was never completely „done“ and thus never left the „beta“ status.
Moving it from beta to a real service and creating a stable service would be too big at this time. This would include changing to gc.com API which would basically mean rewriting tb-rescue.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this project, especially every geocache who helped the more than 2300 trackables.
With immediate effect, no new rescue requests can be created.
The domain as well as the tb-rescue banner will stay online until mid of 2016.
This decision allows me to invest my time into tb-run.com
Unfortunately I did not have the chance to maintain tb-run and tb-rescue during the last months. Other job-related as well as other private projects were the reason that I had almost no time to answer your emails. I feel sorry for that.
In addition, we experience some technical issues.
E.g. the tb-rescue ranking list was not updated. Rescue requests were not closed and rescuers did no receive credit for their rescue missions. This should be fixed now.
But we still see some performance problems with loading times of some of the pages. I am working on this but cannot make an estimation when those will be fixed.
Update 2014/05/02: 90% of the performance problems should are fixed.
Also it is currently not possible to change the watched area in tb-rescue. sorry.
Today, I will focus on answering your email.
As soon as I have any news regarding the current issues, I will provide an update via Twitter/Facebook/Blog.
I hope you have some understanding that tb-rescue and tb-run are just hobby projects and other private and job-related stuff has priority somethimes 🙂