it was a long back and forth but I have decided to discontinue also the service of tb-run.com.
Developing and running the site was a lot of fun and the feedback from the geocaching community was really great. But on the other hand, the usage of tb-run also went down during the last year.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this project. It was a lot of fun.
You can still access the current Races until Oct 12th. From Oct 12th day on, the site will be offline.
first let me say this: tb-run.com in general is working fine and the daily updates from geocaching.com are running like a charm ;-).
In the last year, we did not have a single occurence where tb-run did a wrong calculation of the ranking – (as long as the information from gc.com was up to date and gc.com provided the right results).
Most of the mails regarding wrong ranking we get, can be tracked down to the fact that the race tye is set to a “fair” race. This which will filter out movements by the same geocacher. You find a detailed explanation in a previous blog post.
However, there is a problem right now:
As you all now, tb-run can only work with the mileage that is provided by gc.com. Since a few months, we experience a problem that seems to be related to what gc.com is showing.
We recognized that the mileage delivered from geocaching.com all of a sudden changes from time to time. Example
- For this old TB that was not moved since 2010, the log from 08/14/2008 shows 32.16 Miles – which is correct. Now two days ago, at 1:15 CET gc.com showed 5259.59 for this TB. And an hour later gc.com showed 377.03 Miles. At 3:15 then it was back to 32.16 Miles. At 9:15 it was 464.04 Miles for two hours and then it was correct.
- Or this Race TB from BNJanny (Upsstups)
Log from 01/17/2017 in Cache Kosinus meets China. Correct is 0.15 Miles. Yesterday all of a sudden gc.com showed 5266.23 Miles. One hour later it was back to 0.15 Miles.
It seems that these are not exceptions but this happens across geocaching.com.
We have written a program that pulls the mileage from gc.com every hour for several TB’s to see if we can detect any pattern. We are also checking if this is somehow related to tb-run.com – but don’t think so at this point.
We will update this post once we have any news – hopefully in the next few days.
If you have seen similar behaviour, please leave a comment. This may help us to track down the root cause – or give us more meat when talking to Groundspeak.
Due to changes on geocaching.com, the mileage of certain TBs is currently not displayed correctly on tb-run.com. This is relevant for race types “distance fair”, “long jump” and “Race to cache”.
We have fixed the issues today (May 8th). As soon as the TB receives a new log, the mileage will show up correctly on the following day on tb-run.com.
Sorry for the inconvenience
Unfortunately I did not have the chance to maintain tb-run and tb-rescue during the last months. Other job-related as well as other private projects were the reason that I had almost no time to answer your emails. I feel sorry for that.
In addition, we experience some technical issues.
E.g. the tb-rescue ranking list was not updated. Rescue requests were not closed and rescuers did no receive credit for their rescue missions. This should be fixed now.
But we still see some performance problems with loading times of some of the pages. I am working on this but cannot make an estimation when those will be fixed.
Update 2014/05/02: 90% of the performance problems should are fixed.
Also it is currently not possible to change the watched area in tb-rescue. sorry.
Today, I will focus on answering your email.
As soon as I have any news regarding the current issues, I will provide an update via Twitter/Facebook/Blog.
I hope you have some understanding that tb-rescue and tb-run are just hobby projects and other private and job-related stuff has priority somethimes 🙂
sometimes it happens that a race participant complains about the ranking list not being correct. In this case please, take a look at the following points.
If there are still things unclear after review, we are happy to answer your message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following points are valid for all races that are about “who makes the most mileage” – “distance“, “distance fair” as well as “long jump“:
- Only the mileage after start of the race is considered.
- In case a TB was added to the race after the race started, only the mileage is valued from the date, the TB was added.
In case you want to adjust this please, contact the race-organizer of your race. A simple email from the race-organizer is enough and we will adjust this manually on request.
- At the bottom of the race list, you will find the date of the “last complete update” from geocaching.com.
In case this is old, you will usually see the next update happening within 24 hours.
- As we are not just considering the total mileage but only the mileage since race start (see 1. and 2.) the value “total mileage” from geocaching.com is not relevant (see Screenshot).
- Instead of considering the total mileage tb-run reads the single logs mileages from the log history (see screenshot).
In case geocaching.com does not show the correct mileage here, it sometimes helps to run a “recalculate distance” from the detail page of your trackable on geocaching.com (see screenshot).
If this does not help there is unfortunately nothing we can do about it from our side.
The following point is valid in addition for “distance fair” and “long jump“:
- Here, multiple logs from the same “Mover” will be excluded on purpose. You can find the details in the rule section.
This works pretty well and reliable.
In case you are under the impression that something is not valued correctly, please contact us.
With race type “race to cache” we calculate the distance from the current to the target cache. In the following cases it can happen that the distance is temporary not calculated correctly:
- The TB was just added to the race – tb-run.com will update the data from geocaching.com once per day.
- There is no ‘placed’ log for this TB yet. So we cannot find out where the TB is located..
- The last ‘placed’ log was in a archived cache.
- The last ‘placed’ log was in a ‘Premium Member Only’ Cache.
In all these cases, the situation remains only temporary and the correct position is calculated once the trackable moves to the next cache,
In case you still have questions please contact us with providing the race name as well as the (public) TB case at email@example.com.